Sunday, October 11, 2009

Baked Brie with Brown Sugar & Almonds

Yesterday I tried out my mom's recipe for a baked brie party appetizer for the first time ever and it turned out very well! (This is not a picture of it. I forgot to take a picture, but you get the idea).

So, for my first post on Les Cuisinieres I thought I would share it with you...

The recipe is pretty simple, yet it ends up looking like you slaved away in the kitchen all day. The only thing that was a bit tricky was finding a relatively inexpensive wheel of brie. Surprisingly, I found one at Whole Foods.

Ingredients:
1 large wheel of brie
Frozen phyllo dough sheets (usually in the freezer section in the grocery store)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 stick butter (melted)
Walnuts or Almonds

1. Thaw the phyllo dough in the freezer overnight. Or, you can microwave the dough for 30 seconds on each side and then let it sit out for 30 minutes. My mom forgot to mention the part about thawing the dough, so I had to improvise.

2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

3. Cover a 13 x 9 pan with foil. Roll out a few phyllo dough sheets and place them in the pan. Brush them with melted butter.

4. Place the round of brie on top of the phyllo dough and then wrap the sheets around the brie like a present, trying to make it look pretty. I wrapped the dough around the brie and then tucked the remaining pieces underneath. You can also create leaves out of the phyllo dough and place them on top of the brie, but I didn't try anything that tricky for my first attempt.

5. Brush more butter all over the dough that is wrapped around the brie. Then, sprinkle brown sugar and almonds on top. Don't let any brown sugar get on the tin foil or it will start burning and will make the oven smell (I found this out the hard way).

6. Bake the brie until it is browned, for approximately 20 minutes.

7. Serve the brie with crackers, pita chips, or bagel chips and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment